My name is Road Tripper Eastern Cape Karoo. I am a traveller’s companion book, created by the authors Chris Marais and Julienne du Toit.
If you take me with you, this is what happens:
- You will know, if you follow the pages inside, exactly where the best padstalle in the Eastern Cape Karoo are, the oasis places where food and gifts are on offer;
- You will have a taste of what it’s like to wake up on a Karoo farm, breathe in the champagne air and walk in the mountains;
- You will experience first-hand the famous hospitality and friendliness of the people of the Eastern Cape Karoo;
- You will be able to plot your way between all the quirky bars of the area, getting the publican to sign me and, possibly, receiving a surprise gift;
- You will quickly pick up on the sense of humour that is so essential to surviving in the Karoo;
- You will discover the wide open spaces, skyscapes and delightful backroads of the region;
- You will join in the many festivals, gatherings and parties planned every year in most towns of the Eastern Cape Karoo;
- You will have a friend (me) to guide and introduce you to all the finest offerings along this exciting and fresh South African road trip route;
- I will be your travel planner and, at the end of it all, your memento of a great journey through an authentic South African space.
A note from the authors:
There are places in the Eastern Cape Karoo where a traveller can simply disconnect and daydream.
This magical region is undiscovered by mass tourism. Here you will not find casinos, shopping malls, crowded beaches or massive budget hotels.
On the other hand it is ideal for backpackers, families looking to re-connect, true travellers in search of special experiences and insights into local life. There are pubs to hang out in, fishing holes to explore, veld trails to follow and stories to be shared. Best of all, there are dozens of welcoming Karoo farms where peace, quiet and wide open spaces top the menu. And every padstal along the way offers something special, something local, to feast on. And should you arrive in one of our towns during festival time, put on your party hat and simply join in.
Road Tripper Eastern Cape Karoo (which comes in both Ebook and Print formats) is the key to the holiday treasure chest of this region. In nearly 300 pages of illustrated stories, you will learn about the people who live here – and where the good spots are. It is a remarkable traveller’s companion, written, photographed and compiled over ten years by seasoned road journalists.
It’s an adventurer’s book as well, showing you where you can race down a big river in a small boat, find a very old fossil, head off on a mountain bike safari and take your children on a dusty trail or two.