Let's hit the road!
It’s time to join Chris Marais and Julienne du Toit, authors of the bestselling Karoo Keepsakes series, for a classic holiday adventure via the pages of their Traveller’s Companion book, Road Tripper Eastern Cape Karoo.
- Go pub-crawling, padstal-shopping and stoep-sitting;
- Watch champion sheep shearers, dig in at a food festival and sip sherry in a Victorian-era hotel;
- Hunt for fossils, fish for monster trout and wake up on a Karoo farm;
- Ride mountain bikes on dusty trails, motorcycles on back roads and walk the veld in search of artefacts;
- Celebrate life with some of the friendliest and most interesting people who call the Karoo home.
It’s all about Disconnection, Discovery & Delight.
Every town needs its champion, and the Western Cape Karoo settlement of Murraysburg has one in the cheerful form of Adri Smit.
As with most lively travel stories, this piece should come with some kind of health warning. Do not operate heavy machinery while following this route.
An Australian company’s efforts to mine for Karoo uranium have been thwarted again, this time held at bay by a miniature succulent plant.
There’s a spooky tale in almost every Karoo town.
High praise for Road Tripper Eastern Cape Karoo from the Weekend Post newspaper in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
THE MAGIC PLACE
Here at Karoo Space you will discover old stories from an ancient land; visit Victorian-era villages that time passed by; trade with a million people in 101 towns; learn why the Karoo must be protected; celebrate with food and festivals.
COME WITH US. WE KNOW THE WAY.