Let's hit the road!
It’s time to join Chris Marais and Julienne du Toit, authors of the bestselling Karoo Keepsakes series, for a classic holiday adventure via the pages of their Traveller’s Companion book, Road Tripper Eastern Cape Karoo.
- Go pub-crawling, padstal-shopping and stoep-sitting;
- Watch champion sheep shearers, dig in at a food festival and sip sherry in a Victorian-era hotel;
- Hunt for fossils, fish for monster trout and wake up on a Karoo farm;
- Ride mountain bikes on dusty trails, motorcycles on back roads and walk the veld in search of artefacts;
- Celebrate life with some of the friendliest and most interesting people who call the Karoo home.
It’s all about Disconnection, Discovery & Delight.
The Karoo: those who take the time to get to know the place do not take long to fall in love.
This article from our archives was written after one of Shell’s first public participation meetings in the Karoo. It makes for fascinating background reading.
Song for the Karoo – Helen Lockhart
Daar’s ‘n inskripsie op ‘n rots bo-op Oukop, ‘n heuwel wat waghou oor Cradock, wat lees: “what availe it a man that he gain the whole world, but lose his own soul.”
The heat of an old-time Karoo kitchen.
THE MAGIC PLACE
Here at Karoo Space you will discover old stories from an ancient land; visit Victorian-era villages that time passed by; trade with a million people in 101 towns; learn why the Karoo must be protected; celebrate with food and festivals.
COME WITH US. WE KNOW THE WAY.