Let's hit the road!
It’s time to join Chris Marais and Julienne du Toit, authors of the bestselling Karoo Keepsakes series, for a classic holiday adventure via the pages of their Traveller’s Companion book, Road Tripper Eastern Cape Karoo.
- Go pub-crawling, padstal-shopping and stoep-sitting;
- Watch champion sheep shearers, dig in at a food festival and sip sherry in a Victorian-era hotel;
- Hunt for fossils, fish for monster trout and wake up on a Karoo farm;
- Ride mountain bikes on dusty trails, motorcycles on back roads and walk the veld in search of artefacts;
- Celebrate life with some of the friendliest and most interesting people who call the Karoo home.
It’s all about Disconnection, Discovery & Delight.
Strange discoveries along Karoo roads.
Harry Potter lies buried in a graveyard in Cradock.
Outside, a lowering pewter sky. Inside the kitchen, it is time to make soup, and I am instructing Chris in the art of it.
A Karoo train siding called Kendrew, and the dark side of movie mogul Isadore William Schlesinger.
There are four official theories about how the farm Daggaboer got its name, only one of them involving the weed itself. Isobel Neethling might share them with you while you sample their legendary ginger beer or homemade lemonade.
THE MAGIC PLACE
Here at Karoo Space you will discover old stories from an ancient land; visit Victorian-era villages that time passed by; trade with a million people in 101 towns; learn why the Karoo must be protected; celebrate with food and festivals.
COME WITH US. WE KNOW THE WAY.